Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Common Touch

There was a change that took place in me when I went to college. I became a bit of a snob. I would go back home and behold the ways of the people that I grew up among and I would marvel at just how much better than them I had become.

Of course, I was really the same person. I had been exposed to some things they most likely hadn't experienced, but in the grand scheme, I was still the same person. So why, I ask, did I consider myself better than them? Well, the answer isn't that complicated.

We can all fall victim to this temptation--to elevate ourselves above those around us for one reason or another. Anything we have, anything we know, anything we are that differentiates us from someone else can be twisted by pride to make us think ourselves better than them. Social status or money can do it. Knowledge can also corrupt attitudes as powerfully as money. Give someone a book on systematic theology and you may have created a monster. Study philosophy for a year or two and you just might well find yourself in a state of arrogance from which you can't recover. All of these things must be tempered with humility. Looking at our greatest accomplishments, we will always find ourselves in the shadow of someone even greater who has accomplished more and has done better. And the greatest of men in the light of his highest accomplishments still stands in the shadow of a God who is not impressed.

Perspective. We need perspective. John Bradford, the great English reformer and martyr, was known to have said, "There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford." So what is it that really separates us from this person to whom we consider ourselves superior? We usually think it is something we have done--something we have accomplished. Well, if it indeed was us that has accomplished this thing, we might well indeed be superior to this person in that exact way. But don't be fooled. You did nothing on your own.

So I strive to maintain the common touch. I tell myself that we are, under God, all the same. I have limited success in this struggle because I still battle a voice which tells me I'm better than some people. I'd rather be listening to another voice. That voice told me: "As I have loved you, so you must love one another."


12 comments:

  1. Hm. I like the phrase. I wish this touch were more common, if you know what I mean. Philippians 2 remains one of my go-to chapters (and I'm thinking of the first nine verses here, but particularly verse three on this topic) for this reason. I can't seem to live up to that attitude for more than five minutes. Have you ever read Humility by Andrew Murray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is there a skeleton in the camera lens? Does it symbolize death? Or you being a funeral director.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OR! How bright the flash is?I thought of that one as soon as I clicked Submit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @skittlesruletheworld - No flash on that one. Ambi-light only. Yes, it symbolizes death, but probably has nothing to do with my profession. Most likely, it's just because I find the human skeleton interesting, knowing that we all look just like that underneath. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. @JGBallard - Thanks for the nice comments and the rec. Phil 2 is one of my all-time favorite chapters. So meaty! It humbles me just to read what it says about imitating Christ's humility. But I've found that if I lay down for a few minutes, the feeling goes away...Note to Self:  Read Humility by Andrew Murray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bongo5 - Every sentence of that book is the healthiest kind of slap in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is a most eloquent treatise on the importance of cultivating an attitude of humility!  Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. first command ma?no man is an isolated islandwe are all connected

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Grampa_David - Thanks, Grampa. You're too kind. SDG.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Pinocchio669 - Pinocchio: I assume you're referring to the second greatest commandment: Love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:36-40). Loving our neighbor as our self is the essence of humility.  I just wish I could do it. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Bongo5 - there is two rule replied by jesus when asked on what is teh biggest commandment.they should be executed together.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Pinocchio669 - True, indeed. "We love because he first loved us."

    ReplyDelete