Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Bass and I: Part IV

Starting not too long after my purchase of the Mexican P-Bass and a small practice amplifier, Dale and I began playing together a bit over at my house. We practiced certain songs, usually learning traditional and upbeat versions of some hymns. Dale believed, and I understood, that this would probably be our only options for playing live at first.

We did this, off and on, for several years. At one time, we had an ongoing gig playing at a nursing home on Sunday mornings for a worship service. Not exactly the big time, and pretty embarrassing to recall, but anything helps.

Over these years, Dale purchased back virtually every piece of his old equipment. He had sold it to cousins, friends and others who gladly sold it back to him. We had (and still have) aspirations to grow into something bigger. We agreed at the beginning of our musical association that we would support each others musical ventures. In other words, I would play bass for his projects, he would play guitar for mine.

Dale purchased new equipment, too. He purchased a Rickenbacker 4003 bass guitar, a Fender American Standard Precision Bass, and two different Mesa Boogie bass amplifiers. In a magnanamous gesture, he wanted me to have access to a better instrument. The magnanimity of this gesture is realized when you recall that Dale is a guitar player, not a bass player. He also wanted his brother, another bass player, to have access to an instrument. So, Dale's brother and I shared the gear. Eventually, he took the Rickenbacker and I took the Fender. Dale took my Mexican P-Bass, keeping it in his gear cache for the last few years.

Dale recently decided to divest himself of some of his equipment. He felt that he would never use most of it, so the money could be better used elsewhere. He sold drum kits, stomp boxes, speaker cabinets, amplifiers and one of his guitars. He sold the Mesa Boogie Buster 200 amplifier that had been at my house for the better part of 3 years. He said he was going to sell one of the basses, asking which one I wanted him to keep. 'Keep the Ricky', I said. I then told him that I had wanted to put some money into my Mexican P-Bass for some time because I had no intention of selling it (sentimental reasons, you see). I then explained to him that I had come into a windfall of sorts and would be spending some of it on remodeling my P-Bass.

Within a week or two, Dale brought my old guitar back and took the American P-Bass away. The guitar I had played for the better part of the last 3 years was gone, probably for good. I didn't care, though, as my old, trusted and dear friend, the Mexican, was back home. 'Amigo', I told the Mexican. 'Great things are in store for you. Just you wait and see.'

Well, this brings you almost to the present in my bass guitar saga. I shared the previous four posts with you to prepare for the next one, which is the story of my Mexican P-Bass remodeling project, complete with photos. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name's Nick. I'm bored so I'm taking a survey...do you think the death penalty should apply to juveniles? Please comment. I love comments.
    -Nick

    ReplyDelete