Monday, December 31, 2007

The Bass and I: New Beginnings

Since I have owned the Mexican, I have wanted to put some money into it and improve its playability and looks. The only changes I made, between the initial purchase and most recently, were to replace the knobs. It had these cheap, plastic Telecaster knobs. I purchased some chrome, traditional-looking knobs. Of course, countless string changes in search of the perfect string don't count. Let's jump into the pictures.

For_Web-0-0

 

 

This is the Mexican, virtually as it was when I purchased it in 2003. I took this picture right before I started the redo.

 

 

 

 

ff3

 

 

This is how the guitar appeared on the eBay auction (actual image supplied by seller). In the case, you will see the original one-ply pickguard. The owner had upgraded to a three-ply white pearl pickguard, almost as ugly as the original.

 

 

This is the headstock as it originally was. The original logo/text had been silk-screened (methinks) and also included the "Squier" label, making this one an odd bird, having both "Squier" and "Fender" on the headstock.

For_Web-0-1

For_Web-0-17 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For_Web-0-2

 

 

 

This is the cheapo bridge on the original. It is the classic Fender design, but seems thinner and cheaper than what's on the American guitars. Definitely needed replacement.

 

 

 

 

 

For_Web-0-4

 

 

The pickups on the Mexican also were in need of upgrade. These were of the cheapest variety. I had to repair one of the wires along the way that had broken off.

No comments:

Post a Comment