Monday, February 6, 2006

Where's the grave of Nick Beef?

I realize that this reference is absolutely lost on most of you who would read this.

Today I revisited a popular tourist destination on the east side of Fort Worth.

One day, early in my tenure as a death services merchant, I had a service at Rose Hill Cemetery. Rose Hill's family services flunky was at the grave afterwards, waiting with me for the cemetery workers to come and close the grave. I asked him,"Where's Oswald's grave?"

He replied, "Well, we've been asked by the family not to give out that information. Would you like to know where the grave for Nick Beef is?"

"Sure," I said. He gave me directions and I found it. You may not have guessed this, but Oswald's grave, coincidentally, is right next to Nick Beef. What are the chances of that?

The wintery grass around the grave is mashed flat. It is certainly the most visited grave in that cemetery, and probably in the whole city.

Reports say that the marker has been stolen repeatedly. Most recently, it was cemented in the ground, but that wouldn't stop a determined thief, 'cause it's a small stone. This appears to be a newer stone than the first one I saw.

Note:  Factually, the Family Services Flunky may have mentioned the grave on the other side of Oswald, somebody named Hays. Not having perfect recall of the event, I have inserted the name of Nick Beef, who resides on Oswald's other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment