Saturday, May 9, 2009

Laying My Soul Bare


I'm addicted to Altoids. Peppermint-flavored Altoids. 

I don't really feel bad about saying that. After all, how harmful an addiction is that? I'm not breaking into cars to buy my next tin or taking food out of my kids' mouths or hocking my wife's jewelry. I spend about $3-5 a week on two or three tins, depending on the intensity of my habit for that week.

Right now, I have an open tin, probably 75% consumed, with an unopened one waiting in my bag. Recently, I decided to start saving the empty tins. I've thrown away many more than this, but I decided to start saving them just to see how many I could amass. It also gives me a good look at just how my addiction is progressing. (See image of empty tins at right)

More than a month ago, I was out with the family for a birthday dinner. As we were on the way home, my wife mentioned that a friend had told her that Altoids were on sale at Kroger, 10 for $10. Even at the best everyday price I can get for singles ($1.50), that's a 33% savings. I swept into Kroger and picked up two boxes, six tins in each. I felt like I had won the lottery. Much like lottery winnings, the cache soon dwindled to zero.

The first time I remember experiencing Altoids was back in 1987. I was a security officer working a rotation in the Sid Richardson Museum in downtown Fort Worth. The attendant was a friendly lady, and we would chat when the museum was empty. One day she offered me an Altoid, which I specifically remember because of the "Curiously Strong Mints" terminology. Interesting, I thought, yet at that time I remained practically unimpressed. A few years back, Altoids became a regular part of my diet. Peppermint is the only flavor I buy, with maybe an occasional experiment with one of the others. I want to try Ginger flavor. Other Altoid-aholics have sang/sung their praises. Yes. There are others. Google "Altoid addiction" and you'll find quite a few folks out there, "battling" the same addiction.

The power of Altoids is in their recipie. Real oil of peppermint is used in their creation, and apparently a healthy dose of it. I think its this blast of peppermint power that I am addicted to. When I feel it surging up my nasal passages and cooling my throat, well, the world is just a better place than it was minutes ago. I find myself longing for that cool, minty explosion again and again. Sure signs of addiction. If it were crack instead of Altoids, I'd be laid up in a dilapidated building somewhere, my teeth all rotted out, having recently urinated on myself. As it is, however, I simply have minty fresh breath most of the time.

Another benefit which I regularly promote is the settling affect that peppermint has on the stomach. Feeling a little queasy? Pop an Altoid or two and you'll be as right as rain, whatever that means.

I'm developing quite a reputation as an Altoid-aholic. That is probably why our friend passed along that message concerning the sale at Kroger. I always have a tin or two handy, and if I don't then I'm either on the way to the store to remedy that or something is terribly wrong.

The manufacturers advertise that the recipe for Altoids is the same as it has been since its creation. around 1800. All I can say about that is when anyone at Callard and Bowser gets brave enough to change the recipe or to replace the oil of peppermint with an artificial flavor...well, it won't be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment