Saturday, February 28, 2009

Where Has All the Time Gone...

I've recently looked around myself, seeing pockets of neglect. My camera has been untouched for months. I haven't touched a string on my guitar(s) in at least the same period. I haven't read a book. I haven't posted to xanga much either (with one exceptional, anomalous period of productivity).

Analysis shows that my life isn't full of idleness either. Other things are sweeping in and taking over the time normally allotted to these old friends of mine. Side projects, those great consumers of time, have been the primary culprit. I'm hoping with the advent of spring, these side projects will dry up and I'll find myself back in the company of my old friends, shutter and string.

Spring is one of my favorite times of year. Newness, freshness, and vitality abound. One cannot help but be swept up in the season when you're surrounded with such vigor. It means I'll have to start mowing the yard again (bummer), yet the boys are getting old enough to be a help in that arena.

The harbinger of spring at my house is wildflowers. We have a lovely variety of flowers native to our yard, and they choose to bloom right before I must start mowing. We're treated to a period of this beautiful variety of color brought on by winecups, evening primrose, horsemint, indian blanket, cornflowers, tawny paintbrush, indian paintbrush and even the lovely bluebonnet. There are others in there yet unidentified, also making their presence known. It's a beautiful sight, the top of our hill, when spring has sprung.

Then boys and I have been working on some home repairs, an ongoing project which may carry us into '10 before we see it finished. It seems a massive undertaking, yet we continue to plod along as quickly as I, the project manager, can push. Spring may breathe some life and energy into the project.

Who ever knew that the purchase of a new cell phone could be such an invigorating thing, yet Hil's testimony proves it true. My phone is a work-provided unit, however I am the "Director of Technology", a true, yet misleading moniker. Being the director of technology, I have sway over cell phone purchases and contracts, a thing my boss, the president of the company, doesn't care to think about. I'm thinking of leading the power users--a group consisting of 5-out-of-8 users--into the realm of nerd phones. Having mobile internet and e-mail, not to mention GPS or a useful calendar/scheduling tool, would be a boon for us. I am totally enthralled by the Blackberry Bold and will be pushing hard for it. I'm thinking that some may opt for the trendy iPhone, but I want something with real buttons.

Amongst the power users, there are a couple of us counting the days until the upgrade. We nurse our old phones, our torn carrying cases, all the while ready to ditch them at a moment's notice. The other power users seem indifferent, yet I know they will like the upgrade, too. There is one in the group that would complain about any change, yet often refuses to speak, knowing that speaking such things will often mean that he is left out when the rest of us get new, cool things. Two more months until new phones, a subject so full of joy that I most definitely will need to write about it.

Hopefully, I'll post some--perhaps a little--between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment