Saturday, September 17, 2005

A Conversation Between Two Cats

Clem sidles up to Autumn. "Why don't you like me?"

Autumn ignores Clem, licking her paw.

"All-Dumb, why don't you like me?"

"My name is Autumn, you ignorant putz. Get it right or feel the claw!"

"But the man calls you..."

"He can get away with it. You cannot."

"Why don't you like me?"

"You're fickle. Even for a cat, you can't be trusted."

"Why do you say that?"

"You used these people, eating their food, then running away."

"They tried to kill me!"

"That was an accident, and you know it. Remember how much they spent to try and save your mangy hide?"

"Yeah, but I still have these bad dreams about laying in those bushes, convulsing in the rain for two days. I can't help it."

"You wuss! You disgust me! Suck it up and be a real cat, if you have it in you! Catch a mouse,  for Pete's sake!"

The cats sit, side by side, no other words passing between them for several minutes. Autumn continues to lick her paw.

(To be continued.)

3 comments:

  1. I like it, Dad. But I think Autumn uses saltier language, despite her sheltered upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but its still good. Continue it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye, by the way. I go to a new and better world alone.

    ReplyDelete